Where the raindrops as they're falling tell a story...

Monday, October 20, 2008

Utan bisaya

Utan Bisaya

Of the first few dishes I've learned, utan bisaya, or local vegetable stew, is my favorite. Whenever I'm home at my mother's, I always ask for this dish. She still cooks the best vegetable stew. Surprisingly, with the combined rustic flavor of homegrown vegetables, this dish made it to my comfort food list.

Ingredients:
  • kalabasa (squash)
  • gabi (taro)
  • talong (eggplant)
  • okra (lady finger)
  • alugbati (vine spinach)
  • malunggay (leaves of horseradish tree)
  • sangig (local basil)
  • tanglad (lemon grass)
  • fried fish or pork cube or stock (optional--added for additional flavor)
In a deep stoneware, bring sliced kalabasa and gabi to a boil. Add sliced talong and okra. Cook until fork-tender. When soft, mash the gabi and some kalabasa to thicken the soup. Add alugbati and tanglad. Add fried fish or pork cube for flavor. When soup starts to boil, add malunggay and sangig. Turn off heat right away.

Serve warm.

If you're on diet, this is the best dish for you. Zero fat, healthy and filling. What more can you ask?


Take me to HOME COOKING tab

10 comments:

Reanaclaire October 21, 2008 at 6:05 PM  

hi..i love that non fat dish... since got recipe, can try one of these days..

Anonymous October 21, 2008 at 9:37 PM  

looks deleicious and healthy too.I will try this.. Thanks
Beyond The Rave Reality, Computer and Electronics, Money Online Thoughts, Seek Health. Feel Great

SHIELA October 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM  

kalami sa law oy :) unya naa dayon ginamos nga naay limonsito...yay!

Anonymous October 22, 2008 at 3:49 AM  

this is so good that my mouth is watering.

DebbieDana October 22, 2008 at 4:30 AM  

hhhhm, haven't tried this yet before...but it looks really good, so I must try it!

iceah October 22, 2008 at 5:25 AM  

my favorite din my mom calls this "laswa" here naman they call it "lawuy" c:

Unknown October 22, 2008 at 5:52 AM  

Oh my God, I miss this one. Gigutom hinoon ko da! I've been looking for kamunggay here in for like forever pero wala pa jud ko kakita ay. Haay, kalami sa utan.

Purpled Sky October 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

Wow, ka nice! Now I know what this dish is called in different regions :-)

Shei -- nag water akong mouth sa imong ginamos ug hipon. Hahaha!

Cathy -- in Florida, some Filipinos grow their own kamunggay. Find a stalk, and maybe you can grow on in Texas, too :-)

cherry October 22, 2008 at 8:10 PM  

this is just like bulanglang from batangas. i love anything with malunggay.

btw, got a tag for you.

http://girlforallstatus.blogspot.com/2008/10/peace-men.html

Anonymous October 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

my nanay cooks this. we are ilonggas so i know what utan bisaya means. miss ko tuloy.

======================================================

dNeero Convos

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP