Where the raindrops as they're falling tell a story...

Monday, May 12, 2008

Steamed lapu-lapu in dark sauce

So we have another batch of grouper from Ormoc. My father-in-law made the nanny brought some when she came back (YAY SHE'S BACK!!!). We had inun-onan (paksiw) the other day-- which we had Mama cook. When it comes to paksiw na lapu, I humbly pass the throne to Ma. I have yet to taste a lapu paksiw dish that could surpass hers. You'd think she used loads and loads of spices but all she ever used was a couple cloves of garlic, some ginger, and 3 siling haba. And oh, it was my husband who requested for her to cook the paksiw, which she more than willingly complied. My Ma loves the hubby more than me, her own daughter, I'm telling you.

For this batch, I decided to make my steamed version. I have never been wrong with the combo of hoisin and oyster sauce, and this is not the first time I attempted the dish. The worcestershire was only added for extra oomph. I want my steamed fish loaded with flavors and a bit sweet on the outside and all the natural goodness on the inside. This technique does just that.

ingredients:

  • 2 medium sized lapu, cleaned and gutted
  • 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 3 tbsp oyster sauce
  • 4 tsp worcestershire sauce
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 2 thumb-sized ginger, peeled and minced
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 1-foot length tinfoil for wrapping
procedure:
  1. Mix all the dark sauces: hoisin, oyster, worcestershire. Set aside.
  2. Score fishes twice both sides.
  3. Place in tinfoils individually.
  4. Season with sprinkling of salt and pepper.
  5. Sprinkle minced garlic and ginger, and put some in cavities.
  6. Pour over sauce.
  7. Wrap tinfoil tightly and fold ends to secure. Make sure you don't have holes in the foil. You don't want the sauces dripping as you steam.
  8. Steam for 30-40 minutes at 175C. I used my turbo broiler. You can use your convection oven if you have one, but if all you have is the the traditional steamer, that will do just fine. It's a steamed dish after all.
If anything, this dish is almost hassle-free. You just leave the broiler do it's thing. I am actually typing this while the fish cooks. When that timer goes off, chow time!

Serves 6. If you're serving to a party of less than six, cut the recipe in half and use only one medium-sized fish.


Take me to HOME COOKING tab

5 comments:

Anonymous May 12, 2008 at 12:40 AM  

All these pictures of food, makes me want to go out to grab a bite to eat. which I think I will do in a few minutes...

caffeinated muse May 12, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

gutom!!!!

Purpled Sky May 12, 2008 at 10:58 AM  

hahahaha you always are! it's a wonder how you stay svelte and sexy :P bitokon ka noh? :P

Anonymous May 12, 2008 at 7:08 PM  

Hi Purpled Sky, thank your for linking my 4 blogs. I already l;inked your blog too in each of them too. You can check it out now to make it sure.

Anonymous November 7, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

hi det, our cook left a month ago and m doing all the cooking now, wahhh!

this sure helps, thanks! mwahh :-)

======================================================

dNeero Convos

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP