Where the raindrops as they're falling tell a story...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Why do I blog?

Now, everytime I'm asked that question, the picture of a hundred acre ranch facing the mountains with a farmhouse overlooking a handsome seaside cliff comes to mind. Gosh, I know, lofty goals, and how is this in any way connected to blogging?

About four months or so ago, me and some friends thought of getting our blogs out into the public eye (yes, we used to maintain private blogs, if there is such a thing), and earn from them. We like blogging so much, might as well earn from it, right? Not a bad idea. Then my ever lutaw mind automatically wanders off in a dream. Wow, finally, I can stay at home to take care of the husband and the kid, while I blog for a living. Perfect! And maybe I'd get too darn rich, I can finally have my dream farmhouse by the seaside cliff while I blog and scrapbook on the side. That is how lutaw my mind is; and that is when the connection of a seaside farm and blogging got established. Simply put, I made this blog public because I want to earn while blogging.

Then Gaya, a friend who also blogs just because she loves to, was faced by a dilemna of earning through it while keeping faithful to her readers. She said it felt like selling out. I couldn't say her sentiments were unfounded, because really, sometimes you get that feeling. My take? As long as you stay true to what you believe, as long as you don't lie to your readers, and as long as you give honest opinions, you're not selling out. You may even, in her words, be able to help your readers by imparting them additional information through your paid posts and ads. Sponsors also won't force you to write for them if you don't believe in what they're offering. Some won't even mind a negative review. It's a clear win-win situation.

And as what my esteemed friend wisely said, "mahirap ang buhay ngayon..."

I may be far from my dream of a rustic farmhouse life while blogging and scrapbooking on the side, but the very reason that I blog really is only because I love doing it. That's the most important thing, I guess, to love whatever it is that you do.


5 comments:

faeryrowan August 7, 2008 at 7:59 PM  

Ayay buking ta dah! Hehehe! But yes, so true, ati. Just be honest with yourself and your readers. That's all that matters. =)

PINAY MOMMY August 8, 2008 at 6:42 AM  

the post was utterly honest! i like that. when i started blogging, i already told my readers i am doing it for the money. i needed it because i wanted to stay at home. and yes, i do honest reviews as possible. i only tell what i feel.

i am not dreaming for a farmhouse though, just enough money to keep me at home. that would be awesome for me. hehehehe!!

by the way, i have a tag for you here: http://lourdesmia.blogspot.com/2008/08/household-chores-i-hate.html hope you can play along! thanks!

Pinay Mommy Online
Blessings and Beyond
Mommy Earns Money Online

Purpled Sky August 8, 2008 at 7:08 AM  

Mommy Ruby, that farmhouse will remain like that, a dream LOL unless one can win a lotto without buying tickets :-)) thanks for the tag, will do it soon.

MaricrisG August 11, 2008 at 2:59 AM  

Hello kabayan! Ang saya naman nahanap kita. Finding filipino connection is as elusive as seeing someone here in Charlotte. I'm glad to find you. Ang cute ng baby mo ha! Anyway, I hope this is a start of a blog friendship kahit na thru internet lang. Salamat!

Maricris

SHIELA August 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

you are right. kaya ako what you read is what you get from me...hehehe.

tuod diay taga asa gani ka? :)

======================================================

dNeero Convos

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP