Where the raindrops as they're falling tell a story...

Monday, March 2, 2009

Must.Wean.


When Xofi was hospitalized for pneumonia, we had to take the paci out to give way to her breathing. One can't really suck on a binki with a stuffy nose, so even if it comforted her greatly, we had to take it away. She survived. She did not ask for it. Or maybe because she was way too preoccupied with the pain and the medical people in white uniforms to bother with her binki.

Then she got well. My husband and I let out a gallop of joy thinking we finally weaned her from the binki. She did went through a couple of nights without it. But without the pain from being sick, I guess she remembered. She'd wake up in the middle of the night, though not a great crier, still enough to keep me awake. She fussed and couldn't go back to sleep.

It must be the binki. We thought. So we tried giving her the binki, and instantly, she fell back to sleep. She's been on the binki since, but only at night.

I want to wean her off it. I gave myself until she's 18 months, which is NOW. She'd be 19 months old this month. And I still don't know how to do it. I know for sure that I'd have to give up more sleep in the process of weaning. I read some moms put holes in the binki so it's not as effective as it should be, thus discouraging the baby from using it. I'm tempted to try that, but isn't it dangerous to be giving your kid a defective paci?

If you have tricks that worked, let me know. For whatever it's gonna take, I am so weaning her off the paci. Just don't know when, or if I'd have the energy to go through the pain of sleepless nights yet again.

6 comments:

Ebie March 3, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

Its been a while since motherhood. Is weaning from the pacifier the same as the feeding bottle? I remember, I rub on fresh ginger and that's how I weaned Z, some 24 years ago. I hope I am making sense. Good luck.

Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 12:35 AM  

first see what your child doesnt like, i mean does she hates any juice or anything which she even hates to touch, if so you can smear on it so that it wont do her harm , you see meaning should not harm her.



or you have to see when she really asks for binki, like when she goes to sleep or before that, then put her to sleep by music or something else, basically change her pattern of use,

MaricrisG March 5, 2009 at 4:38 AM  

It will be a tough process but you can do it effectively by talking to her. That's what I did with my now 4 year old. I told her that the paci is no longer good for her. And told her that the Paci went somewhere, is lost and will never return. It's funny that my made-up story worked. She no longer looked for it. The more she sees it, the more she'll want it. So hide it from her and give her a different comfort object. Good luck girl.

The Mother March 6, 2009 at 11:56 PM  

Just take it away. You'll have a few days of whining and crying, and it'll be done.

Parents shouldn't be afraid to confront their children.

And it won't scar him for life. My 20 year old doesn't even remember.

Anonymous March 7, 2009 at 8:38 PM  

my girls both had pacis when young but when they were about almost two years, i weaned them off it. when they are really tired they'll really fall asleep. don't worry if they whine for a while. but i really dont believe in cutting them up cos it is dangerous as the child might end up chewing it up.

don't worry if she still asks for it especially when she's ill.. they do need some comfort sometimes.

Purpled Sky March 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

@Ebie-- the husband agreed with the ginger method. But I doubt it will affect Xofi, she loves spicy food!

@anon-- the thing is she only asks for her binki in the middle of the night. she won't go looking for it when she's awake or when she's napping at daytime.

@maricris-- she's still 1 and half, and understands very little. maybe when she's old enough and still using her paci, I most definitely will.

@mother-- that is my great hope :-)

@constance-- you are so right, girl.

======================================================

dNeero Convos

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP