Where the raindrops as they're falling tell a story...

Friday, May 30, 2008

My day with David, Nigella, and Harvey

So, I turned 21 yesterday. A friend commented that I was getting younger and younger each year. If he remembered it right, I was 26 last year. Oh well, it's not my fault that the years just refuse to show. (Bwahahahahaa!) Humor me, just for today. :-P

When Mama asked me what I planned for the day, I told her I had none. Thank God for restaurants, you can make one in an 11th hour. (There was no plan for whatsoever to begin with). So we settled at a simple family dinner at Spice Fusion tagging along Xofie who was more than happy to get out of the house after so long.

Halfway through dinner, husband handed me two gift-wrapped heavier-than-their-sizes boxes which are obviously-books-why-did-you-bother-wrapping-it presents. Husband rattles on an apology how he was unable to get a hold of Nigella Express, so he hoped Feast is enough, and as added bonus, David Sedaris' Naked. Or something like that. I wasn't listening, I was ecstatic and imagining David and Nigella greeting me a happy birthday personally. I can't wait to skim through the pages and calculate the me time that I'd be needing burrowed with the books. (Just in case you're wondering, recipe books are listed under my read-for-pleasure category.)

By the time we got home, I was already so conked out I hit the bed without washing my face (ick). Between the pillows hid another Nigella. This time, it's her famous Forever Summer. The husband must really be sorry he missed buying Nigella Express, he bought me two Nigellas instead, I thought. Me being more than happy of his slip, thanked him again and pleaded for him to stop and he better give me the money to let me save it. He's bought more than enough books already.

I bid my goodnight smiling. He insisted the night is not over and there are presents yet to be opened. I was torn between amused delight and the need to be frugal but heck, it's my birthday, let him spoil me! Turns out, another David is hiding between Xofie's stash of diapers. This time, Barrel Fever surfaced out of the wrappers. Are you kidding me?! Excuse me while I recalculate the me time.

By now, I have totally forgotten the self-help book I wanted, Dr. Harvey Karp's Happiest Toddler on the Block. I was so sold out with Dr. Karp's Happiest Baby that I can't wait to get my grubby hands on the Happiest Toddler. Yes, Xofie's turning 1 in a few months and I could use all the help I could get. The sad thing was Cebu Powerbooks never had a stock since they started here. Earlier that evening, I reserved the book and told them to call me right away, whether sold out or unavailable in any other branches.

Husband told me to get dressed ready for bed-something he'd never say at any given night. What a giveaway. So there's more David hiding in the closet, right? Holidays on Ice tucked somewhere, perhaps?

And of course, with the hint he just gave away, I was excited to change for bed. As expected, there's another unmistakably wrapped book lying on top my pile of folded shirts. I excitedly tore the wrappers and this greeted me:



Imagine my sheer surprise! How did he get hold of the book? I'm dead sure Powerbooks Cebu doesn't have it. Where did he buy it? To this, he quoted William Forrester, "The key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time." (Aaaaar, he's hopeless! ^ ^)

So, I stopped asking, and collected the treasures I got for the day:

And oh, I'll be coming back to Powerbooks real soon. Office friends gave me this:

Thank you, thank you all, for making this day extra special. Nothing beats a birthday surrounded with friends and family. :-D

Most especially to you, Daddy, for going an extra mile to start the day right. The flowers early in the morning did it already. I did not expect there were more coming. ^ ^

7 comments:

Shimumsy May 31, 2008 at 12:05 AM  

happy 21st birthday to you. take care.

test May 31, 2008 at 4:01 PM  

finding forrester? Nice movie.. hehe..
my fave quotes on the movie:

"the key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift in an unexpected time."

"losing family, losing family obliges us to find our own family, not the family that is our blood, but the family that can become our blood."

Purpled Sky June 1, 2008 at 8:54 AM  

yes, finding forrester. the hubby likes this one too:

"The rest of those who have gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow."

he's the movie nut. me? my movie iq is super below average, it's neanderthal-ic (invented word) to say the least hehe

cherry June 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM  

belated happy birthday. i love receiving books as gifts more than anything else. Of course, I would also love some designer bags and watch if books are not available. =)
Just joking

Purpled Sky June 1, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

hahahahaha! {girl}, me too, me too! you can add shoes to the list as well :-)

Vixen of Vixensden.com June 3, 2008 at 11:00 AM  

Happy "21st" birthday. Sounds like a wonderful day.

Vix
http://vixensden.com

Purpled Sky June 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

thanks, vixen! you have a wonderful site there. :-)

======================================================

dNeero Convos

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP