Where the raindrops as they're falling tell a story...

Monday, September 15, 2008

WQ 17: Pig brains in my lasagna?

And you wonder why some makes stuff better than the rest ;-)

weeklyquestions2.jpg



This week's question is about a story that Teacher Julie's friend has encountered one dinner get-together in a typical pinoy fashion. Her friend later discovered that instead of beef, the cook uses pig brain in the lasagna. Go read :-)

If I were in the situation, what will I do?

I am squeamish, that much I admit. But I am also gastronomically adventurous. I once had sisig where the cook admitted to adding pig's brain, and truth be told, it was the best fraking sisig I've ever tasted. Now, back to the question. What will I do if on my second plateful, I was candidly told I'm eating pig's brain instead of beef? I'd probably be shocked, albeit briefly, take another spoonful and reassess the taste, mindful that however exceptional this certain gastronomic experience is, I am eating something unconventional. Then, I'd make a bee-line to the cook, huddle her in the corner, and ask for a step by step instruction on how she came up with such tasty lasagna, pig's brain included.

But then again, I'm not a lasagna eater. I prefer the rest of the pasta family, but seldom lasagna. Chances are, if I were to make the lasagna at home, I'd probably just be loading it with lots of velveeta cheese to make up for the richness and creaminess of pig's brain. I don't think I'm that brave to literally pick brains out from a skull, even from a pig's.

6 comments:

Nina September 16, 2008 at 3:37 AM  

You are much braver and kinder than I could be. I am very picky about what I am eating and that would freak me out.

Anonymous September 16, 2008 at 7:15 AM  

Thank you for answering this WQ :)

At least you don't have to pick out the brains because someone will do that for you ;)

I remember the other day that I was able to eat this food when I was younger for my father would then make omelet using pig's brain. Its soft yes, more like gelatinous, if I remember it right. Not squeamish then since it was my Pa doing the cooking. But now? I am not so sure :D

Have a great week!

iceah September 16, 2008 at 7:23 AM  

i think if it smells good then it must be okay to the palate c: i've been to other places that's why am flexible c: most yummy dishes look funny though c: specially exotic dishes c:

Reanaclaire September 16, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

hi..pls accept a tag from my blog. when u hv time do come by my christian blog at www.clairereana.blogspot.com
thanks..

Anonymous September 16, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

i never thought Philippines uses that in some of their menu too. I remembered in Malaysia, there was such a thing as Congee or Porridge with Pig's brain. I thought i tastes really good and creamy, and I never knew what it was till a little older because my parent knew i'd freaked out since I was the type who's against cruelty to any animals..hahaha

Anonymous September 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

back in my beer guzzling days, we would eat pig's brain as pulutan (similar to the way the rich eat caviar hehehe). when there's a whole roasted pig for a party, we would cut the head and a designated surgeon (our youngest brother) would operate on the brain and transfer it to a plate. goes well with tomato ketchup or soy and vinegar sauce. and of course, ice cold beer.

p.s. btw, sisig would not be the real sisig if cooked without the pig's brain because its main ingredient is actually the whole head of a pig including the brain.

======================================================

dNeero Convos

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP